Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How quickly the days go by...

After being home for two weeks, I definitely was not yet ready to leave. It’s too bad I really didn’t have a choice. With both of my parents being out of town (thanks, guys), I had Jen (Miramontes) and Emma take me to the airport (thanks, guys!) They were amazingly generous and waited for me outside of the house forever, because I, already being on Colombian time, was not ready when they got there. When we got to the airport Emma helped me carry my bags in, just in case I ended up needing to unload some items because I knew my bags would be overweight [they were 53.5 lbs and 51.5 lbs but the nice lady let them through :)]. When I was at the check-in desk and realized that I would have to pay $25 for having two checked bags, I went to get my credit card out of my wallet. Unfortunately, that proved pretty difficult because I didn’t have my wallet with me. I had forgotten it in the center console of my car. So, at 10:58 pm, I am inside the airport with Emma and have only my passport and 85 dollars cash (thanks Jen (Jenkins) for making me take that!). My phone had broken as I was rushing out to the car on the way to the airport (I dropped it, stepped on it, and kicked it 10 feet across the asphalt), so I had to use Emma’s phone to call Jen (Jenkins) and ask her to bring me my wallet. The tricky thing is, Jen (Miramontes) had put a restriction on Emma’s phone, so she couldn’t use it to call anyone but she and Dave after 11 pm. I quickly called Jen (Jenkins) and got the point across to her, but the phone disconnected our call because it had reached 11 pm. Trying to get my phone to work, I purposely dropped it on the ground a few times and banged it around, and that actually did the trick. I was able to call Jen back and she brought me my wallet. I made my flight with plenty of time, but the fiasco was a great start to my trip! I am now in the Newark airport, with my flight delayed 2.5 hours, a re-broken phone, and 24 hours of internet for $7.95! This is going to be an adventure.

1 comment: