Saturday, August 22, 2009

Getting used to the "way things are done in Colombia"

A few mornings ago, I got my first mini-lecture. My stomach has been sensitive since I have been here because of the change and the altitude, I think. Anyway, because of this, I have been usually eating minimal breakfasts (a piece of fruit) because it is the most sensitive in the mornings. My mom was not very happy about that and I could tell that she was kind of holding her tongue, but after a few days she finally sat me down and told me "how they do things here in Colombia". She explained that they eat a big breakfast and that fruit is not sufficient. She said that they always drink something like juice, coffee, tea, or milk (they are all so bothered by the fact that I only drink water!) and have eggs, toast, yogurt, or something else besides just fruit. I think it is cute how much she is worried about me, but it's also difficult at the same time because I haven't had anyone worry about what I eat for as long as I can remember!

Today I went and wandered around La Candelaria with Amy. It is the first time I have actually felt relatively unsafe anywhere I have traveled. I am not sure why, because a lot of the places I have been have been worse than here. I think it may be because my dad isn't in the country or anywhere close and I am used to having him there! I felt like the responsible one of our pair, and that was a huge weight on my shoulders. I was the one with the experience traveling abroad and in dirty/sketch places but it was nice to know how to handle myself in that situation I guess.

There are a lot of other little things that I have noticed while being here. Everyone has my hair! It is all so thick and wavy and I feel like I fit in! Haha except mine is blonde but whatever, it was still cool to see other people with it! I have also seen a fair amount of babies and I saw one that looked exactly like Clay! His facial expressions and everything reminded me of Clay, it was really weird. Shoot, I don't remember the other things I noticed. I will try to remember to start writing them down or something!

Anyway, tonight I am supposed to go meet the extended families of my host parents. After that we are all going out dancing, which should be fun, and then I have to take a taxi home. Here, I have to direct the taxi driver where to go, which should be interesting because I really am not quite sure how I am going to manage that! Tomorrow I am supposed to meet Gustavo and co. which I am very, very, very excited about!

2 comments:

  1. Anna, you are not just fulfilling dreams. You are creating dreams I didn't know existed before, and fulfilling them at the same time!

    b.t.w, we've always 'worried' about what you ate. for better or worse, we just let you be you about it. : )

    also b.t.w, i love your hair!

    have fun dancing. if you learn the cumbia your grandfather will die (figuratively)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i learned it on the third night i was in colombia! that doesnt mean i am good at it, but some of the younger ICYE volunteers (past exchangees that now help out with the orientation) taught us salsa, meringue (spelling?) and cumbia. why will gpa die?

    ReplyDelete