Friday, August 28, 2009

Tour of La Candelaria

Today we went with one of our Spanish teachers and took an unofficial tour of La Candelaria, the old part of Bogota. I got to see a lot more of it than I had seen on my own, and I learned more about the history of Bogota and Colombia in general. I forgot my camera, so I don't have pictures to share, but I figure that I am here for another six months and that I will return to all of the places I saw today. My favorite thing that I saw was La Iglesia de San Ignacio because I knew that my great-grandparents had been there. It was such a weird feeling to know they had probably once stood in the same places that I was standing. The church is being renovated for the next two weeks or so, but after that I will go in to look around. We walked through the oldest parts of the city and the plaza around which Bogota was founded. There, all the buildings are really colorful and pretty and it was a pleasant area to be in, for the most part. I was with friends from the Level 1 class who I much prefer to spend time with than the people in my Level 2 class, so I had a great afternoon. We found a cute little bar that was super eccentrically decorated and are going to go there tomorrow evening for drinks!
Chao, Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment