Sorry that I haven't posted anything recently, I was very very busy this week, which was actually really nice. Tuesday morning I was free so I went for a run and did yoga. It was my first run here in Bogotá and I really felt the altitude! That was once that I was glad I had to do run/walk intervals (because of my knees), usually I am embarassed to be doing them. That afternoon I had Spanish class and then came home for a nice dinner with my family! Dinnertime is the best time that I spend with my host parents because we just sit down and talk for usually about an hour. We just talk about our days and about what there is to do here and I always ask them any questions I have about plans or whatever I need. The dinner table is one place where we all have time to just sit down and chat so I really look forward to it every day!
On Wednesday I went to visit my project in the morning with the Project Coordinator from ICYE, Franziska and Miriam, the two girls who are working in my project with me. I really really liked my project and all of the people that I met there! My project is absolutely huge- there is a library, a girls home (about 25 girls ages 5-13 live there Monday through Friday), a kindergarten/preschool, a bakery, a chocolate making place, a music room, a used clothing store and a place to help mentally challenged people. The guy who seemed to be in charge was super nice and seemed like he was really excited for us to be there. There has been a lot of talk about needing to prove yourself within your project in order for them to let you do work, but it seemed like everyone that we talked to was ready for us to start taking charge right away, which is really great. They said that the first week we will be allowed to work in all of the areas of the project as we please and then at the end of the week decide on a more concrete schedule. We can choose whatever we want to do and mix up all of the things if we want. I definitely want to do at least a day per week in the kindergarten and half a day per week in the bakery! Besides that I am just looking forward to being able to get to know each thing better in the first week that I am working. Wednesday night I went for dinner with Andres Amaya (Juan David's cousin on his mom's side) and his friend. It was cool to meet someone who lives here and knows where he is going and where the fun places to go are!
Thursday morning I woke up and went for another run before Spanish class. That night almost our whole Spanish class went out to a bar with our Spanish teacher, which was pretty fun. There was live music which was really good! I took my first taxi alone and it was totally fine! I kept up a conversation in Spanish with the driver for the whole ride and got his number at the end to call him whenever I am in the Zona Rosa/Parque 93 district at night and need a ride home. It will be nice to know I have someone reliable to take me home from that area of town!
I woke up early for Pilates the next morning. I had a really good time at Pilates! It kicked my butt again. We went to a different studio this time and it was very peaceful and the instructor was really good. He had a swastika tattooed on his hand though, which makes me not want to take Pilates from him. I have seen about 10 people with swastikas tattooed on themselves, and a friend told me that to them, it means they hate black people. I think that is ridiculous and ignorant and it makes me sad that so many people do that! Afterwards I went to Gustavo's house for lunch and had potatoes with tomatoes and onions (I forget the exact name), meatballs and rice, yum! I love all of the food here. I got home about 3 and relaxed until we went out at night. Amy (yay she is back from England! It was so nice to see her. I definitely get along best with her and have the best time with her and she feels the same about me so it's really nice to feel like I have a best friend here.), Andres, a bunch of his friends (30 people) and I went to a restaurant/club outside of Bogotá (in Chia, about 30 minutes North). It was the best time I have had going out here! That place was recommended in my Lonely Planet and on multiple websites online, and it was super fun. We didn't actually sit down and eat there, but I saw tons of food being delivered to tables and it all looked totally amazing! I definitely want to go back and make a night out of eating dinner there and then dancing, even though it is pretty expensive. We got back into Bogotá around 4 am and Amy and I slept at Andres's house.
This morning his parents made us arepas con queso for breakfast, definitely my favorite! I went straight to Gustavo's for lunch (some kind of fish, rice and platanos, which are really starting to grow on me! I didn't like them at first but now I actually look forward to eating them.) and then got home around 3:30. I went to meet Amy and the people from the first Spanish class at Crepes and Waffles (my favorite place!) for an earlyish dinner and then came straight home afterwards and got to sit down with my host parents and talk to them while they ate dinner.
Tomorrow we are going to Usaquén to go to a flea market that Lonely Planet suggests, which should be really cool! I am also planning to go for another run tomorrow. I am hoping that I get used to the altitude soon so that it isn't such a chore to run every time, because I actually do enjoy running when I feel like I am actually taking oxygen into my lungs. I am having a really good time here and am especially glad that Amy is back :). I can't wait for my dad and everyone to visit though! I hope that I get to know the city better and can talk to them fully in Spanish by then (sorry Jen!). I still have my good and bad Spanish days. Today was a bad one, but some days I feel like I am improving a lot!
Love,
Anna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment