Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fresh air and why I hate my "boss"

This week has been alright. My project is still really boring and I would be dying without the Germans! I went late almost everyday this week (around 8:30 instead of 8:00) because there isn't anything to do in the mornings anyway, we just sit in the library and talk basically. I was also sick earlier in the week, therefore authorized to be late to work/skip it alltogether, and I milked that for all it was worth.
I have decided not to accompany the girls from Casa Hogar unless I am helping with English class or doing my personal development workshop with them. I always get in a bad mood when I am in that house for some reason, and I just don't like it. The director of the house also is very...demanding? For our English classes (luckily I am just helping out with them so I don't have to plan them) she wants us to create a lesson plan with Topic, Objective, Methods, Ultimate Goal, Materials needed, Who we will be giving it to, and the time and date, for ALL 24 LESSONS BEFORE VACATION. I think that is nearly impossible to make accurately because if we have something planned for a certain day and the girls don't learn it then we are going to review it again..that is just dumb! There is no reason she should need that. Also, for our personal development workshop, she wants us to do the samething. Luckily there is only 12 of those before break, but still. It took us about an hour to plan our first one, and then she cancelled it... On Friday in Casa Hogar there was a party from 9 to 11. We got there at 9, it didn't start until 11... Being in that house for 4 hours was so hard! The air is so stuffy and all the girls smell bad... We also taught another English class in the library. That and the bakery are definitely my favorite! The time flies when we are teaching. We worked a lot on the 'th' sound, and it so soooo hard for all of them!

I am going on a hike tomorrow! With a hiking group in Bogotá that I found online. I just really need to get out of the city and get fresh air and do something active. It sounds like it is going to be fun.

I hate the head guy here. He is totally insensitive and annoying and I just really don't like him! He is a pain to deal with because he acts like he thinks he is better than everyone else. I talked to him multiple times about taking days off when my family comes to visit and he never gave me a clear answer. I worked last Saturday (I don't remember if I wrote about it in the last post but we had to take a "Manipulación de Alimentos" class and it was four and a half hours long and all in Spanish, including a test at the end, and I did totally fine! I understood everything that was going on and it felt so good :)) and I am working today. I am sitting in the library computer lab writing this. I haven't talked to him about when I am coming but I am just going to do enough extra hours so that I feel like I deserve days off. It's just dumb because I am just sitting here on the computer doing absolutely nothing. I have been here for two and a half hours and I have only helped some little kid with English (he was 9 and couldn't read so that made it really hard) for 30 minutes and spent the rest of the time doing my own thing on the computer.

In the English class yesterday I recognized that maybe the 71 year old that is AWFUL might not be able to read...whenever we write something on the board it makes his pronunciation worse. It is tough to teach English to people who can't read! My kindergarten English class was basically equally awful on Thursday, but I was a little more prepared. I already knew what they knew at that point, but I still can't figure out how to actually teach a class of 25 little kids, half of who don't actually want to learn. I basically just sang songs to them, four, actually. We probably did "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" about 15 times. Such fun.

Nothing too exciting has happened at all, but I will definitely re-post when it does!

Love,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment